GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-03 > 1047002079

From: "Cheri Casper" <>
Subject: RE: [GENBOX] Source/Citation
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 17:55:13 -0800

Kathy - If you want the ability to create a "free form," then you would
clear the variables out of the Formatting section of the Source Template.
When you make a new source based on that selected Template, it will have no
variables in it to be used to populate the output forms (footnotes,
endnotes, bib). So you when you create a source based on an "empty"
template, you will need to type in the data directly into the Formatting
section and skip most of the stuff on the Source (definition) page. OR you
can type variables back into the Formatting section and then add the data on
the first screen of the newly created Source. You may have cleared out the
variables because you had indicated that you wanted to create a "free form"
source and I told you that you need to remove the variables if that was what
you want to do.

I hope this makes some sense. If you were sitting beside me I could show
you this in about 3 minutes, but it is rather hard to explain. If you want
the variables to *always be in the Formatting section every time you base a
source on a given template* then you will need to open up the Source
Template and place the appropriate variables there. Then when you create a
new source, you just populate the appropriate fields with the data.

If your templates are empty, you will get no source output because there is
nothing to put there. If you open up the sample dataset you can take a look
at the Source Templates there as the defaults are shipped.

If you can give me some of the data that you are trying to get into a source
and what type of source you want it to be (book, document, whatever), I am
sure that I or someone else can give you the information that you can cut &
paste into your Source Template Formatting section and give you some
guidance as to which bit of information goes into which field when you
actually cite to that source.

CheriC