GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-04 > 1049748868

From: "Cheri Casper" <>
Subject: [GENBOX] Filtering Research Tasks
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 13:54:47 -0700

I have stepped through all of my research targets. For those that require
census work, I have made the first line of the Description read:

CEN, KY, 1930

or something similar. All census tasks have *at a minimum* the code "CEN"
(w/o the quotes) in the first line of the Description.

Trying to run a list where the Description is filtered for *CEN, yields no
results at all; just an empty report. I certainly wish that someone smarter
than I could figure out what I am doing wrong.

Here are the steps I am using:

1. Reports > Other >Basic.
2. Key tab: Other Report for > Research.
3. Content tab: Choose Name, ID, Subitem Type, Description
4. With Description selected in the right-hand column, I am clicking on the
icon of the hand holding the sheet of paper. In Match Values field, typing
*CEN. Close window.
5. Click on Description [*CEN] to make the filter criteria "pop" in the
Filter field.
7. Select the Sort order on the Sort tab.
8. Click Make Report.

Zero, zip, nada. And it doesn't matter whether I am searching for the
Category of "All" or "Research Targets." I still come up with an empty
report.

Can some sage give me some advice on what I am doing wrong? I had narrative
type descriptions for Research Targets, but searching for *census didn't
find those targets. Adding "coding" to the Descriptions doesn't seem to
solve the problem either as the filter doesn't seem to bring find those
either. Leaving the wildcard asterisk out and just using CEN doesn't find
these targets either.

Any ideas anyone? A list of Research Targets that is a complete list of
everything in the Research log isn't going to be that useful to me and I
suspect that I am not alone in wanting to be able to use the filter to
search for tasks that meet certain criteria.

CheriC

This thread: