GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2003-04 > 1049765148

From: "William T. Flight" <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Filtering Research Tasks
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 22:26:31 -0400

> Bill - That did the trick, but if all of the census tasks are coded with
> CEN, shouldn't just entering CEN or *CEN bring those tasks into the
report?
> Using the *CEN* also returned a description that had the word "Vincent" in
> it.
>
> I guess I just don't understand how the filters work, what you need to use
> for various types of matches (whole word, partial word, etc.).

The asterisk wildcard (*) means "match any number of characters in this
position". So if your keyword could be in the middle of a body of text, you
need an asterisk both before and after it. Without any wildcards, only an
exact match will be returned, meaning the entire description would have to
be CEN and nothing else. The pattern CEN* would only match descriptions that
begin with CEN, and the pattern *CEN would only match descriptions that end
with CEN.

To avoid the "Vincent" problem:
1) you coud use longer keywords (CENSUS)
2) you could delimit your keywords by ending (and/or beginning) each with a
special character, then search with that character. Ex: in the description
field, you might have "... CEN; KY;1930; Vincent was ..." then your match
string could be *CEN;* which would match to the keyword but not to
"Vincent".
3) You could request a separate database field be added just for keyword
searching. <g>

-- Bill

William T. Flight
http://www.thoughtfulcreations.com