GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2005-02 > 1108520876

From: "Anne Hildrum" <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Import of place names from GEDCOM
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:27:56 +0100

From: "Geir Thorud" <>
To: <>

> Hi Anne,
>
> > Since I remeber the enormous amount of cleanup
> > on places in TMG seems to me both program
> > makes it necessary to work with it afterwards.
>
> I don't see a need for a cleanup if you have entered the
> data properly in the first place. Could you give a gedcom
> example describing the problem with TMG?

Since importing my GEDCOM file into TMG take days I
don't think I would lilk to do that again, so I could check and possibly
telle you the problems. Anyway it isn't all that relevant to Genbox anyway.

> Genbox does not seem to import place hierarchies
> properly when there are missing "levels" in the
> hierarchy.
>
> For example:
>
> Mæhlum, Brøttum, Ringsaker, Hedmark - Mæhlum is imported as Local site.
>
> Tjerne, , Ringsaker, Hedmark - Tjerne is imported as City/Town
> - note , , - missing level.
>
> I would expect both to be imported to the same level
> in the hierarchy, i.e. as a Local site.

Here I agree with you that Tjerne and Mæhlum should have
been imported to the same level. It should see the extra comma and see it
as a misisng placename.

Anne

This thread: