GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2005-02 > 1108592794

From: Robin Lamacraft <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Querying chart properties?
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:56:34 +1030

Hi Wim,

You confirmed my suspicions. It would be nice that lists could be easily
output in CSV format. (Hint to Bill!) This would seem like a logical
feature extension for table output. We all know that there are times when
you can't do the analysis you require within the current features of any
package.

I found that the RTF path was a 3 step process.
1. Create the report in RTF. Even in this process, I could not find a way
in the List of Individuals report to switch off all the extra formatting
etc to get just the "plain" data output.
2. My Excel (Office XP) import wizard did not offer sensible methods of
handling the RTF. So I resorted to doing that via Word.
3. Once the table was opened in word, I had to select just the cells and
drag them in Excel.

However, contrary to your experience, I then tried saving the output in
.TXT, then importing it directly into Excel. This time Excel handled it as
a tab delimited input - it needs start import as row 2, and creates an
empty column before the real data. There is something different between our
systems? Probably the Help file could do with some additional descriptions
in this area.

Thanks for the insight,
Robin