GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2007-03 > 1175069239

From: "Allen, Geoff \(Energy Wholesale\)" <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Where's Bill
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:07:19 +0100

I think you are being a little unkind.

You're not talking about Microsoft here, and look how many 'bugs' their
software still has despite the thousands of developers and testers they
employ.

I'm guessing Bill is a single, self-employed developer. As stated,
Genbox is not his only product and he needs to use his time where he
believes it is most productive. However it is most unlikely that he
switches off from Genbox when working on other products. I would also
not expect him to say too much about any new version he is developing;
why show your hand to your competitors before you have to.

I have been using Genbox I guess now for around 18 months. I would not
profess to know it in intimate detail, but during that time there have
been numerous incremental updates, both fixing bugs and adding new
features. Indeed it was only a few weeks after Vista was released that
Bill issued an update to support the new OS. I do not consider this to
be 'part-time' support and I'm not aware of any 'show stopper' bugs in
the current version. Also just because this forum is quiet, doesn't mean
anything other than people have other things to do. For me family
history research is a winter task, which tends to go dormant through the
summer.

Everyone is free to make their own choice of which software to use,
based on whatever criteria they chose. However I'm unaware of any other
product where the developer clearly does monitor comments in a newsgroup
and will answer directly if appropriate (as he did with me when I had a
particular issue with a file conflict in XP). And ultimately, should
Bill ever decide to ditch Genbox, (which I also do not believe is likely
in the near future) it is of course a very easy process to create a
Gedcom file to export your data from Genbox and import into whatever
Genealogy product your choose to use.

Geoff