GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2011-05 > 1304912206

From: Mike Ferguson <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Last rites
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 20:36:46 -0700 (PDT)

Well two tweets a month, on the two evenings a month he works on it, were not
exactly indicative of very active development.

Also I was thinking recently of whether Genbox is written in VB6 or not. I know
TMG is, and Microsoft is set to cutoff all support for VB6 (already discontinued
now) in 2016. And since from what I have read the supposed conversion utility
to convert VB6 code to Visual.NET does not actually work well, programmers are
facing lots of time spent in manual conversion. I have wondered if any of the
top genealogy programs will dump Microsoft's locked in framework totally and
just move to Python or Delphi + MySQL or something. It would be a pretty big
disincentive to a programmer to be coming out with a VB6 upgrade now and then
know that the next major upgrade will mostly be code conversion.

BTW, anyone know if Genbox runs in WINE on Linux?