GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2011-05 > 1304950333

From: Mike Ferguson <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Last rites
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 07:12:13 -0700 (PDT)

Doug,

Obviously there is no reason it could not be done in C++. But I was thinking
that programmers who depend on VB6 (and Java) are not as likely to know C/C++
well, and might not want to use it. You are right that both Python and Delphi
(or Object Pascal) are non-standard, but sticking to open source compilers (like
FreePascal) mitigates that somewhat to my mind at least. Note that I don't
actively program now so perhaps C++ is better all around. Of course the MS fans
will say C++ is a dinosaur and one should be using C# (and stuck in a MS
framework again). FWIW the open source genealogy application GRAMPS is written
in Python. Of course its pace of development is glacial too.

Ease of use wise re the database end, I guess the question is also whether
developers targeting individual consumers will want them to have use MySQL and
have to install that, or SQLite instead since it is embeddable.

Mike