GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2011-11 > 1322578684

From: Wim Prange <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] GENBOX Digest, Vol 6, Issue 64
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:58:04 +0100
References: <mailman.291.1322467245.8859.genbox@rootsweb.com><058801ccae35$cdad05f0$690711d0$@edu><8018D1FB2A3946CA8040E0820A5C2DDC@EileenPC>
In-Reply-To: <8018D1FB2A3946CA8040E0820A5C2DDC@EileenPC>

Hi Geoffrey

Genbox can use four "relative" paths to media-files in four different
locations, two of them you can define yourself.

The two file-paths you can define yourself can be configured in View >
Preferences > Operation: Preferred Folder for Media Files (this folder
will be the same for each Genbox database). The other in View > Data
Setup > Defaults: Default Folder for Media Files (this is a folder
only the current database uses).
The other two file-paths are the file-path of your database (and it's
subfolders) itself and the file-path of the program (and it's
subfolders).

When you've entered media-files in your database and Genbox can't find
them, it will start to look for them in those four folders and their
subfolders. When it has found a match (depending on the filename, this
has to be the one you entered), Genbox will ask you to "Change
matching media file names to relative paths?". Click Okay and Genbox
will substitute the file-path with either "pref", "data", "db" or
"app", depending on it's location.

When you later decide to move your files (without renaming them),
Genbox will be able to locate them again when you also change either
the first two paths, or move the database to the root of that
media-folder.

Hope this helps somewhat,

Wim

2011/11/29 Eileen Sullivan <>:
> Geoffrey, It is nice to read a message from someone who is "still learning"
> Genbox. I've been using it now for a year and a half and still get bogged
> down with some tasks. I wish the "help" feature would include a step by step
> illustrated instructions on some features. That would be helpful to me. As
> far as the pictures go, I feel that even though I have them here on my
> computer, I will scan documents and pictures and then burn them onto a cds
> for my family's viewing. Eventually, we will create a website with them
> since, in years to come, my database may disappear and not be accessible for
> those who come after me. I have asked trivial questions of Genbox users and
> they have been helpful. Eileen
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Geoffrey Donnan
> Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 8:25 PM
> Subject: Re: [GENBOX] GENBOX Digest, Vol 6, Issue 64
> This sounds pretty encouraging that Bill is actually responding to someone.
> My biggest problem is that I am still on a learning curve to learn how to
> use GenBox with still the lion's share of my basic inputting to go.  So my
> concern was to go through this learning curve and then have to face yet
> another one.  However, from the email you shared below, it seems that Bill
> is still in the loop.  That sounds hopeful.
> Since I've got all my stuff at present in Genbox and still am learning, I'll
> probably stick around a bit longer and see how things go.  My question at
> the moment is where can I get some assistance on the various problems I am
> having?  I can't count on Bill and most of my questions are probably
> trivial.  Besides the help files (which do help sometimes but are often
> lacking in areas) is there another resource or do I just ask questions on
> this ring?
> One of my major questions has to do with pictures and how one can be applied
> to many people (e.g. group shots).  Is there some special place they need to
> be located and is there a recommended filing approach as to how to make them
> constantly accessible to GenBox when I myself occasionally change the file
> locations for them to make them more refined or more logical.  I currently
> have several thousand pictures and an equal number of letters that I'd like
> to make accessible.  Ideally, I'd like to keep one picture file system
> rather than have one just for Genbox.  But if I use a common one, and make
> changes to it, how does that then affect connections that have already been
> made in Genbox?
> Geoffrey W. Donnan
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [mailto:] On
> Behalf Of
> Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 3:01 AM
> Subject: GENBOX Digest, Vol 6, Issue 64
> Today's Topics:
>   1. Stickin' Around (Richard Marek)
>   2. Re: Stickin' Around (William T. Flight)
>   3. Re: Stickin' Around (cpr)
>   4. Re: Stickin' Around (Cheri Casper)
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:51:04 -0600
> From: Richard Marek <>
> Subject: [GENBOX] Stickin' Around
> To: Genbox List <>
> Message-ID: <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> Hi
> I must admit that even after "trying" three other programs that I just
> don't see enough evidence to convince me to stop using Genbox. Mind you,
> I may still switch sometime in the future but, for now I think Genbox
> still gives me the best fit for what I need. I thought TMG Place Styles
> would give the flexibility that I wanted in places but, they are really
> very limited in the manner they can handle custom levels. Rootsmagic
> lumps place info all together except for the detail. Legacy is more of
> the same.
> Really the only reason to switch is the absence of Mr. Flight. Wish he
> would let us know if we are orphans or not. If we are, I could adopt a
> new program for my needs...
> Mr. Flight.......?
> Rich
> ------------------------------
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:18:01 -0500
> From: "William T. Flight" <>
> Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Stickin' Around
> Message-ID: <005b01ccad6b$924086b0$b6c19410$@thoughtfulcreations.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> Hi Rich,
> As I mentioned on my twitter, I have Genbox compiling now in the current
> version of Visual Studio. That means I can get back to fixing bugs and
> finishing the version 4 implementation. I do have other responsibilities, so
> I'm afraid nobody will be happy with the pace of development.
> Thanks to others who have also sent me inquiries/encouraging words.
> --Bill
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [mailto:] On
> Behalf Of Richard Marek
> Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:51 PM
> To: Genbox List
> Subject: [GENBOX] Stickin' Around
> Hi
> I must admit that even after "trying" three other programs that I just don't
> see enough evidence to convince me to stop using Genbox. Mind you, I may
> still switch sometime in the future but, for now I think Genbox still gives
> me the best fit for what I need. I thought TMG Place Styles would give the
> flexibility that I wanted in places but, they are really very limited in the
> manner they can handle custom levels. Rootsmagic lumps place info all
> together except for the detail. Legacy is more of the same.
> Really the only reason to switch is the absence of Mr. Flight. Wish he would
> let us know if we are orphans or not. If we are, I could adopt a new program
> for my needs...
> Mr. Flight.......?
> Rich
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
> in the subject and the body of the message
> ------------------------------
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 19:37:48 -0800 (PST)
> From: cpr <>
> Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Stickin' Around
> Message-ID:
> <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
> Hi Bill and all
> I'm sticking around for the long haul. I've tried almost every major
> program?out
> there (FTM2012, TMG7, FH4, Legacy7, RM4) and nothing compares to Genbox.
> Places,
> reports, and charts are all fantastic. The same rumblings are going on on
> the
> TMG list currently and while TMG8 is on the horizon multiple users have been
> stuck with the inability to?save reports to RTF or Word for a loooong time
> now.
> Genbox works for me so I'm going to stay where I am.
> Phil
> ________________________________
> From: William T. Flight <>
> Sent: Sun, November 27, 2011 7:18:01 PM
> Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Stickin' Around
> Hi Rich,
> As I mentioned on my twitter, I have Genbox compiling now in the current
> version of Visual Studio. That means I can get back to fixing bugs and
> finishing the version 4 implementation. I do have other responsibilities, so
> I'm afraid nobody will be happy with the pace of development.
> Thanks to others who have also sent me inquiries/encouraging words.
> --Bill
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [mailto:] On
> Behalf Of Richard Marek
> Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:51 PM
> To: Genbox List
> Subject: [GENBOX] Stickin' Around
> Hi
> I must admit that even after "trying" three other programs that I just don't
> see enough evidence to convince me to stop using Genbox. Mind you, I may
> still switch sometime in the future but, for now I think Genbox still gives
> me the best fit for what I need. I thought TMG Place Styles would give the
> flexibility that I wanted in places but, they are really very limited in the
> manner they can handle custom levels. Rootsmagic lumps place info all
> together except for the detail. Legacy is more of the same.
> Really the only reason to switch is the absence of Mr. Flight. Wish he would
> let us know if we are orphans or not. If we are, I could adopt a new program
> for my needs...
> Mr. Flight.......?
> Rich
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
> in the subject and the body of the message
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
> in
> the subject and the body of the message
> ------------------------------
> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 22:04:40 -0800
> From: "Cheri Casper" <>
> Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Stickin' Around
> Message-ID: <000301ccad93$9ea4f3f0$dbeedbd0$@com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> I've said it before but I'll say it again . . . I'm here for the long haul
> and want the trophy for being the last user standing!
> CheriC
> ------------------------------
> To contact the GENBOX list administrator, send an email to
> .
> To post a message to the GENBOX mailing list, send an email to
> .
> __________________________________________________________
> with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body
> of the
> email with no additional text.
> End of GENBOX Digest, Vol 6, Issue 64
> *************************************
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
> in the subject and the body of the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message