GENBOX-L Archives

Archiver > GENBOX > 2011-11 > 1322587374

From: Wim Prange <>
Subject: Re: [GENBOX] GENBOX Digest, Vol 6, Issue 64
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:22:54 +0100
References: <mailman.291.1322467245.8859.genbox@rootsweb.com><058801ccae35$cdad05f0$690711d0$@edu><8018D1FB2A3946CA8040E0820A5C2DDC@EileenPC><CABGTM2Va7RKX_mjtDMn0FRvyqTOU+QqLCZYvOkL7TT_-SSUuhQ@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <CABGTM2Va7RKX_mjtDMn0FRvyqTOU+QqLCZYvOkL7TT_-SSUuhQ@mail.gmail.com>

Hi Geoffrey

Some additional information. It appears to me that once Genbox has
made your paths "relative" it won't start searching for a new
filepath, assuming the path is correct.

For example. Suppose you have a link in Genbox to "D:\My
Documents\Genealogy\Pictures\Donnan Family\My Own Family.jpg". When
you set the preference for Media-files in Data Setup to "D:\My
Documents\Genealogy\Pictures\", Genbox will asks your permission to
change the link in the database to "data"\Donnan Family\My Own
Family.jpg.

When you later decide to move your media-files to an external
usb-drive, for example to "E:\Genealogy\" you should keep the entire
subfolder-structure exactly the same. After the move, would need to
change the preference for Media-files in Data Setup to
"E:\Genealogy\Pictures\" and Genbox will still have access to this
file.

I believe there is still one little niggle though. When I tested this
I a long time ago, I didn't always get the "match"-dialog. I had the
impression just using the Browse button in Preferences didn't seem to
work correctly. I had to edit the pathname in the Preferences-box
manually (remove the last letter and added it again). This editing
then seemed to invoke that dialogbox.

Hope this helps,
Wim

2011/11/29 Wim Prange <>:
> Hi Geoffrey
> Genbox can use four "relative" paths to media-files in four different
> locations, two of them you can define yourself.
> The two file-paths you can define yourself can be configured in View >
> Preferences > Operation: Preferred Folder for Media Files (this folder
> will be the same for each Genbox database). The other in View > Data
> Setup > Defaults: Default Folder for Media Files (this is a folder
> only the current database uses).
> The other two file-paths are the file-path of your database (and it's
> subfolders) itself and the file-path of the program (and it's
> subfolders).
> When you've entered media-files in your database and Genbox can't find
> them, it will start to look for them in those four folders and their
> subfolders. When it has found a match (depending on the filename, this
> has to be the one you entered), Genbox will ask you to "Change
> matching media file names to relative paths?". Click Okay and Genbox
> will substitute the file-path with either "pref", "data", "db" or
> "app", depending on it's location.
> When you later decide to move your files (without renaming them),
> Genbox will be able to locate them again when you also change either
> the first two paths, or move the database to the root of that
> media-folder.
> Hope this helps somewhat,
> Wim
> 2011/11/29 Eileen Sullivan <>:
>> Geoffrey, It is nice to read a message from someone who is "still learning"
>> Genbox. I've been using it now for a year and a half and still get bogged
>> down with some tasks. I wish the "help" feature would include a step by step
>> illustrated instructions on some features. That would be helpful to me. As
>> far as the pictures go, I feel that even though I have them here on my
>> computer, I will scan documents and pictures and then burn them onto a cds
>> for my family's viewing. Eventually, we will create a website with them
>> since, in years to come, my database may disappear and not be accessible for
>> those who come after me. I have asked trivial questions of Genbox users and
>> they have been helpful. Eileen
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Geoffrey Donnan
>> Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 8:25 PM
>> To:
>> Subject: Re: [GENBOX] GENBOX Digest, Vol 6, Issue 64
>> This sounds pretty encouraging that Bill is actually responding to someone.
>> My biggest problem is that I am still on a learning curve to learn how to
>> use GenBox with still the lion's share of my basic inputting to go.  So my
>> concern was to go through this learning curve and then have to face yet
>> another one.  However, from the email you shared below, it seems that Bill
>> is still in the loop.  That sounds hopeful.
>> Since I've got all my stuff at present in Genbox and still am learning, I'll
>> probably stick around a bit longer and see how things go.  My question at
>> the moment is where can I get some assistance on the various problems I am
>> having?  I can't count on Bill and most of my questions are probably
>> trivial.  Besides the help files (which do help sometimes but are often
>> lacking in areas) is there another resource or do I just ask questions on
>> this ring?
>> One of my major questions has to do with pictures and how one can be applied
>> to many people (e.g. group shots).  Is there some special place they need to
>> be located and is there a recommended filing approach as to how to make them
>> constantly accessible to GenBox when I myself occasionally change the file
>> locations for them to make them more refined or more logical.  I currently
>> have several thousand pictures and an equal number of letters that I'd like
>> to make accessible.  Ideally, I'd like to keep one picture file system
>> rather than have one just for Genbox.  But if I use a common one, and make
>> changes to it, how does that then affect connections that have already been
>> made in Genbox?
>> Geoffrey W. Donnan
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: [mailto:] On
>> Behalf Of
>> Sent: Monday, November 28, 2011 3:01 AM
>> To:
>> Subject: GENBOX Digest, Vol 6, Issue 64
>> Today's Topics:
>>   1. Stickin' Around (Richard Marek)
>>   2. Re: Stickin' Around (William T. Flight)
>>   3. Re: Stickin' Around (cpr)
>>   4. Re: Stickin' Around (Cheri Casper)
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 17:51:04 -0600
>> From: Richard Marek <>
>> Subject: [GENBOX] Stickin' Around
>> To: Genbox List <>
>> Message-ID: <>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>> Hi
>> I must admit that even after "trying" three other programs that I just
>> don't see enough evidence to convince me to stop using Genbox. Mind you,
>> I may still switch sometime in the future but, for now I think Genbox
>> still gives me the best fit for what I need. I thought TMG Place Styles
>> would give the flexibility that I wanted in places but, they are really
>> very limited in the manner they can handle custom levels. Rootsmagic
>> lumps place info all together except for the detail. Legacy is more of
>> the same.
>> Really the only reason to switch is the absence of Mr. Flight. Wish he
>> would let us know if we are orphans or not. If we are, I could adopt a
>> new program for my needs...
>> Mr. Flight.......?
>> Rich
>> ------------------------------
>> Message: 2
>> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:18:01 -0500
>> From: "William T. Flight" <>
>> Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Stickin' Around
>> To: <>
>> Message-ID: <005b01ccad6b$924086b0$b6c19410$@thoughtfulcreations.com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
>> Hi Rich,
>> As I mentioned on my twitter, I have Genbox compiling now in the current
>> version of Visual Studio. That means I can get back to fixing bugs and
>> finishing the version 4 implementation. I do have other responsibilities, so
>> I'm afraid nobody will be happy with the pace of development.
>> Thanks to others who have also sent me inquiries/encouraging words.
>> --Bill
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: [mailto:] On
>> Behalf Of Richard Marek
>> Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:51 PM
>> To: Genbox List
>> Subject: [GENBOX] Stickin' Around
>> Hi
>> I must admit that even after "trying" three other programs that I just don't
>> see enough evidence to convince me to stop using Genbox. Mind you, I may
>> still switch sometime in the future but, for now I think Genbox still gives
>> me the best fit for what I need. I thought TMG Place Styles would give the
>> flexibility that I wanted in places but, they are really very limited in the
>> manner they can handle custom levels. Rootsmagic lumps place info all
>> together except for the detail. Legacy is more of the same.
>> Really the only reason to switch is the absence of Mr. Flight. Wish he would
>> let us know if we are orphans or not. If we are, I could adopt a new program
>> for my needs...
>> Mr. Flight.......?
>> Rich
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
>> in the subject and the body of the message
>> ------------------------------
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 19:37:48 -0800 (PST)
>> From: cpr <>
>> Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Stickin' Around
>> To:
>> Message-ID:
>> <>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
>> Hi Bill and all
>> I'm sticking around for the long haul. I've tried almost every major
>> program?out
>> there (FTM2012, TMG7, FH4, Legacy7, RM4) and nothing compares to Genbox.
>> Places,
>> reports, and charts are all fantastic. The same rumblings are going on on
>> the
>> TMG list currently and while TMG8 is on the horizon multiple users have been
>> stuck with the inability to?save reports to RTF or Word for a loooong time
>> now.
>> Genbox works for me so I'm going to stay where I am.
>> Phil
>> ________________________________
>> From: William T. Flight <>
>> To:
>> Sent: Sun, November 27, 2011 7:18:01 PM
>> Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Stickin' Around
>> Hi Rich,
>> As I mentioned on my twitter, I have Genbox compiling now in the current
>> version of Visual Studio. That means I can get back to fixing bugs and
>> finishing the version 4 implementation. I do have other responsibilities, so
>> I'm afraid nobody will be happy with the pace of development.
>> Thanks to others who have also sent me inquiries/encouraging words.
>> --Bill
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: [mailto:] On
>> Behalf Of Richard Marek
>> Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:51 PM
>> To: Genbox List
>> Subject: [GENBOX] Stickin' Around
>> Hi
>> I must admit that even after "trying" three other programs that I just don't
>> see enough evidence to convince me to stop using Genbox. Mind you, I may
>> still switch sometime in the future but, for now I think Genbox still gives
>> me the best fit for what I need. I thought TMG Place Styles would give the
>> flexibility that I wanted in places but, they are really very limited in the
>> manner they can handle custom levels. Rootsmagic lumps place info all
>> together except for the detail. Legacy is more of the same.
>> Really the only reason to switch is the absence of Mr. Flight. Wish he would
>> let us know if we are orphans or not. If we are, I could adopt a new program
>> for my needs...
>> Mr. Flight.......?
>> Rich
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
>> in the subject and the body of the message
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
>> in
>> the subject and the body of the message
>> ------------------------------
>> Message: 4
>> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 22:04:40 -0800
>> From: "Cheri Casper" <>
>> Subject: Re: [GENBOX] Stickin' Around
>> To: <>
>> Message-ID: <000301ccad93$9ea4f3f0$dbeedbd0$@com>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>> I've said it before but I'll say it again . . . I'm here for the long haul
>> and want the trophy for being the last user standing!
>> CheriC
>> ------------------------------
>> To contact the GENBOX list administrator, send an email to
>> .
>> To post a message to the GENBOX mailing list, send an email to
>> .
>> __________________________________________________________
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body
>> of the
>> email with no additional text.
>> End of GENBOX Digest, Vol 6, Issue 64
>> *************************************
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
>> in the subject and the body of the message
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message