GENBRIT-L Archives

Archiver > GENBRIT > 2000-08 > 0966964497

From: "Richard Corbett" <>
Subject: ts ARETHUSA
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:14:57 +0100

Tony

I'm posting your email as the info may be of use to someone else - I hope
that's ok. I have corrected the number - London codes have quite recently
changed.

I telephoned the number you gave and spoke to a Mr. Edward Hardman - their
Appeals and External Relations Director and keeper of their archives, who
was most helpful and interesting. He tells me that the original Arethusa was
a Crimea veteran, when it was suggested by Lord Shaftesbury that she be
berthed to provide training for boys for the RN and MN. She was
interestingly the last ship to go into battle under sail. She was replaced
in the early 1900s with another ship (The tea clipper "Peking" - now in a
maritime museum in New York) renamed Arethusa and replaced yet again in
1934. That latter ship went in 1973 - the year the school leaving age was
moved upwards, thereby removing the gash year there had until then been
(between leaving school and being able to join the forces) which had made
Arethusa and the other T.S's so useful for all those orphaned and
under-priviledged boys.
They had a fire too, but the Arethusa records survive in the Shaftesbury
Homes archives pretty well complete and he has agreed to photocopy all the
details of my gfather and post them to me! He said he would phone if he
could find nothing and, as he hasn't phoned, it looks as though I'm in for a
treat!

Thanks again to you all for responding and particularly to Tony for coming
up with this phone number!

Richard Corbett