GENBRIT-L Archives

Archiver > GENBRIT > 2003-07 > 1057262798

From: "dannebrog" <>
Subject: Re: IGI Reliability
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 22:06:38 +0200

I don't know what the rules in UK said, but in Denmark (where I live) the
children had to be christend rather shortly after birth; I think it was 3 or
6 months. It was changed 1857 when christening no longer was dictated.

In my family a couple (my great-great-grandfather's cousin) had three
children baptized the same day; the eldest had later told younger genrations
about, how she walked to the alter of Our Ladys Chruch (from 1924 the
cathedral of Copenhagen) in Copenhagen.

In the IGI errors of typing must exist, but I think, that the information in
this case could be 100% reliable.

Kind regards

Ulrich Alster Klug

--
Ulrich Alster Klug
Kbenhavn - Denmark

http://www.dk-yeoman.dk

"Ron Wynands" <> skrev i en meddelelse
> Hello, Group,
> Edward Longden married Rebecca Berridge on March 24, 1825 in Stickney,
> Lincolshire. (according to IGI)
> Until 1845, twelve christenings are attributed to them with pretty fair
> regularity, except for the period of 1836-1842 when three christenings are
> recorded for August 21, 1842, preceded by one on July 19, 1842. None of
the
> twelve have a date of birth.
> My question is whether this practice was common or not. I have noticed
that
> a christening or baptism often took place some considerable time after
> birth, but three in one day? Researching my own ancestry in the
> Netherlands revealed that baptisms always followed within days of birth. I
> believe this was dictated by the Dutch Reformed Church.
> Were the Longdons merely playing "catch-up", or is it more likely to be a
> transcription problem . All the IGI entries were extracted from Parish
> records (Batch # C027721) Only one entry was verified by FreeBMD, but then
> the years in question have only been completed anywhere from 2% to 68%.
> I look forward to your comments,
> Ron Wynands, Winnipeg, Canada
> --
> All E-Mail scanned by