GENBRIT-L Archives

Archiver > GENBRIT > 2003-07 > 1058271579

From: "Maloney Empire" <sascar@&alphalink.com.au>
Subject: Re: Scottish Tombstones
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:19:39 +1000

What a splendid custom - I wanted to keep my maiden name when I got married
some 30ish years ago and was told I didn't fully respect or love my husband.
Consequently my MIL was a little cool towards me at the time.

I would still like to retain my maiden name but with all the legalities and
costs involved, it is just not worth the hassle.

--
Di
Please remove the & from email address to reply
"Ken Gibb" <> wrote in message
> On 14 Jul 2003 13:47:45 -0700, (John Stevens)
> wrote:
>
> >Recently whilst visiting south-west Scotland (from London) I visited
> >a village churchyard to look at some historic graves. Whilst there I
> >noticed that on all tombstones that recorded the death of a married or
> >widowed woman her maiden name only was quoted. i.e
> >
> >"Here lies Mary Jones, beloved wife of John Smith"
> >
> >Now I may be unobservant but this seems different from my experience
> >elsewhere. It is usual surely for a woman to be recorded on her tombstone
> >in her married name? Certainly all of my ancestors graves that I have
found
> >have been in this format.
> >
> >So, can anyone tell me if the use of the maiden name is peculiar to
Scotland
> >or it it a practice to be found elsewhere in Britain?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >John
> John,
> Whilst it my seem " strange" to you, think of the luck us people with
> Scottish ancestors obtain, when we are able to view these Headstones.
> It is a VERY, VERY good
> Scottish custom.
>
> Ken
> Jill and Ken Gibb e-mail -