GENBRIT-L Archives

Archiver > GENBRIT > 2003-09 > 1062979269

From: Robin Harritt <>
Subject: Re: namesdatabase
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 01:01:09 +0100

in article , JJupar at
wrote on 7/9/03 10:38 pm:

>> Subject: Re: namesdatabase
>> From: (genesYs)
>> Date: 07/09/2003 13:03 GMT Daylight Time
>>
>> "Ron" <> wrote in message
>>
>>> Hi Judy
>>> AFAIK http://namesdatabase.com is a nasty device for collecting email
>>> addresses. You put yours in and then it wants 5 "friends" email - NO option
>>> you must do it If you repeat your address it checks and says it wants real
>>> ones I put some nasty addresses from a blacklist and it said I could use the
>>> service - BUT the first "register" screen came back So I think someone
>>> thought it was for real and put in your address - how did you know it is
>>> there?
>
> I didn't but someone had butr my name in and then sent a prono letter to an
> address I had been working with on a rootsweb list. She has threated me with
> the Police but as I have done nothing I don't see I am at fault.
>
> Someone used my name as the source of this letter and said it was me from me
> at namesdatabase. I went into it and put in my own plus four falsenames and
> thought I would see what happened but nothing did.
>
> I do not think it is worth checking so I just deleted the thing.
>
> has this happened to anyone else.
>
> Judy

The site *appears* to be owned by a Gabriel Weinberg of 4702 Stearns Hill
Road Waltham MA 02451 US who says of himself on one of his other websites
http://rules.malism.com ; "I am a science and technology advisor and
free-lance writer. Previously I served as CEO of an educational software
company, and I have worked as a consultant, researcher, and manager, in both
the public and private sectors. I received a Bachelor of Science in Physics
from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and I am a member of
the Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Pi Sigma honor societies at that institution. I
am also an Eagle Scout and was an Americorps National Service Volunteer."

He also appears to be the founder of the Apathetic Agnostic Church, strange!

This may (or may not) throw some light on what he is upto with the
namesdatabase site

http://archive.develooper.com/ type="text/javascript">DisplayMail('perl.org','modules');/msg13211.html

I'd say at first sight that he appears to be a bit of a nut of the harmless
eccentric variety. I wonder whether the pornographic letter might have more
to do with its appearance "on a rootsweb list" than Judy's use of the
namesdatabase site. Just a thought. I'll wait to see what happens as result
of typing in a few of my own no longer used e-mail addresses.

Robin

This thread: