GENBRIT-L Archives

Archiver > GENBRIT > 2004-05 > 1083649300

From: (Barbara J.Kolle)
Subject: Re: Charge of Cruelty
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 05:41:40 GMT

Hi Alwynne....
Have the feeling you may be in Melbourne and, if so, then the State
Library holds the index (on computer) to The Times and also the films
for you to check. If elsewhere, no doubt your major State Library
would have similar records.

Regards.....Barbara K

On Mon, 3 May 2004 17:08:30 +1000, "Alwynne Mackie"
<> wrote:

>I have found an account of a committal hearing on the charge of cruelty at
>Bristol Police Court on Wed 15 March 1876. The person bailed to attend trial
>was a Mrs Sophia Batten of Harley Villa, Redland Road at, I think, Clifton.
>
>The account was in The Times the following day, but a search failed to find
>any follow up hearing.
>Can anyone please tell me how I might go about finding an account of the
>trial/hearing? I am here in Australia, so am limited in my access to
>archives.
>With thanks,
>Alwynne

Barbara Kolle