GENBRIT-L Archives

Archiver > GENBRIT > 2004-05 > 1084299729

From: Graeme Wall <>
Subject: Re: Record offices and digital cameras
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 19:22:09 +0100

In message <lwTnc.38850$>
John Cordes <> wrote:

> Lyn Nunn <> wrote:
> > ""Roy Stockdill"" <> wrote in message
> > > Having just bought at the weekend a digital camera principally for
> > > capturing photos of documents and extracts etc, I would be interested
> > > to hear some personal experiences from listers of using them in record
> > > offices.
>
> <snip>
>
> > > TNA, and possibly other record offices, do not allow the use of flash
> > > and other artificial light - which I can well understand since it may
> > > damage sensitive artefacts - or tripods, since they may get in other
> > > people's way.
>
> > Roy I haven't used one at a record office but I have to photograph a
> > scrapbook that belonged to GGGM which she started in 1836. It is great
> > for that faded,difficult to read writing - you can zoom in later and
> > deciphering is so much more easier. Practice at home first as you need to
> > be as directly above the document as you can to get the best result.
> > Depending on the size of the memory stick you may need to download to
> > your laptop if there are a lot of documents.
>
> <converted to bottom posting>
>
> But in my admittedly limited experience, if a tripod is forbidden then it
> is much more difficult to get high quality images.

Get yourself a bean bage, prop the book/document upright if you can at one
end of the table, support the camera on the bean bag at the other and you
should get reasonable results. Alternatively you can get table tripods which
will be even better and I can't see the record office personnel complaining
about them.

--
Graeme Wall

My genealogy website: