GENBRIT-L Archives

Archiver > GENBRIT > 2005-07 > 1121372829

From: " Jill." <>
Subject: Re: Major General Douglas - Gallipoli and Egypt
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:27:09 +0100

Forrest Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:03:49 GMT, in soc.genealogy.britain, "CWatters"
> <> wrote:
>
>> the medal cards have.... Would the campaign medals help with where
>> they served?
>
> Yes, the Medal Index Card which records the award of WW1 campaign
> medals often has the date the soldier first entered a theatre of war,
> and the name of that theatre of war, eg "France (1)" and "12/11/1914",
> although this information usually only appears when the arrival date
> was before 1 Jan 1916.
>
> Having said that, my own sources say that maj Gen W Douglas was in
> Egypt from 10 Sep 1914 to 4 May 1915, the Dardanelles from 5 May 1915
> to 2 Jan 1916, and Sinai from 1916 to 1917.

To both of you thank you -- I hope this exercise has been of some assistance
to others some time in the future in the referencing of the medal card
archives
Forrest - again thank you for your details
It seems that the husbands of Leonie and the Major Generals wife were in
similar areas and the wives of a similar drive to help the wounded soldiers.
I hope the Major Generals wife made it home safely -- I don't suppose there
is much more to be found about about the hospitals???
Leonie was much loved in the family -- and obviously quite a "gal"
Interestingly her husband Edmund was seemingly confirmed bachelor until they
crossed paths and he married a widow of a completely separate campaign
within 18 months of her death
The war was a fickle time for lives and emotions

<snipped for brevity>

--

regards
Jill Bowis

Pure bred utility chickens and ducks
Housing; Equipment, Books, Videos, Gifts
Herbaceous; Herb and Alpine nursery
Working Holidays in Scotland
http://www.kintaline.co.uk

This thread: