GENBRIT-L Archives

Archiver > GENBRIT > 2005-07 > 1121696154

From: "Chris Westmoreland" <>
Subject: RE: Need Birth/Death reference 1940's - JACKSON
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:15:54 -0700

Leading off Bootham in York, there's a road that has a modern metal sign
naming it "Queen Ann's road". On one of the adjacent houses there's an old
terracotta sign naming it "Queen Annes road". Both these are correct as the
"es" at the end of "Ann" in the latter, whilst unusual these days, denotes
the possessive of Ann, and the apostrophe in the former replaces the missing
letter "e".

However, the road leads to a school that until about 5 years ago was written
as "Queen Anne's school" (now St. Olave's).

Kushti Bok,

Chris Westmoreland

This thread: