GENBRIT-L Archives

Archiver > GENBRIT > 2006-09 > 1159058824

From: "Sandra Coulter" <>
Subject: RE: Mountstephen Surname
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 19:47:04 -0500

Marg, this is quite interesting! My ggg-grandmother, Sophia Spiller Smith
Sutton, daughter of William Spiller and Sarah Spurway, had a photo taken in
Adelaide, Australia by Rushton & Just about 1882. Her mother descends from
William Spurway and Rebecca Mountstephen. Sophia emigrated from Devon,
England to Memphis, Tennessee, USA in 1871 and was in the Memphis city
directories except for the years between 1881 and 1883. I've been trying to
find out why she went to Australia at her age, which was about 64. She came
back to the States in 1883 and died in Smith County, Texas in 1901. A
benevolent lady in South Australia found a Henry James Smith and wife who
had twin sons in 1881 in Hindmarsh, South Australia, and this might
possibly be Sophia's son by her first husband. Henry was in Memphis until
the 1880 US census, but I've not found him since. I understand there were
Spiller and Spurway families in South Australia as well and wondered if
Sophia had aunts or cousins that settled there and her son went there after
leaving Memphis. She was an only child so did not have any siblings that
were close. It would be most interesting if some of the Mountstephens there
did connect to my Spiller and Spurway lines. Another piece of the puzzle to
find :>))

Sandy