GENBRIT-L Archives

Archiver > GENBRIT > 2011-06 > 1307901493

From: "Roy Stockdill" <>
Subject: Re: Geoff Riggs
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 18:58:13 +0100

On 12 Jun 2011 at 18:12, Wendy Archer wrote:

> I have been asked to circulate the folowig sad news:
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> "It is my sad duty to report that Geoff Riggs passed away earlier
> today. The family will be having a private funeral later this week
> (family only) and anticipate that a memorial service will be held in
> September for all friends and family historians who would like to
> attend. Alec Tritton Chairman Halsted Trust" >

I am very saddened to hear this news, though it was not entirely unexpected for Geoff
had been ill for some time.

For those listers who did not know him, especially outside the UK, Geoff (a retired
bank manager) was a stalwart of the formal UK genealogy scene and a tireless
worker for family history for many, many years. I worked with him as a colleague on
several committees and everyone who worked with Geoff had immense respect for
his genealogical knowledge, also his dedication to family history, especially in Wales.
In fact, he was probably the best known genealogist in Wales.

He was a leading light of the Guild of One-Name Studies, running the Riggs One-
Name Study based principally in Dorset and representing the Guild on the Association
of Family History Societies of Wales, of which he was also a former chairman,
secretary and webmaster.

Geoff reached the pinnacle of family history as a former chairman, vice-chairman,
director of internet facilities and webmaster of the Federation of Family History
Societies, also former chairman and manaing director of FFHS (Publications) Ltd.

He was also.....

Liaison Officer, trustee, former chairman and webmaster of Gwent FHS
Member of the Gwent Record Office Joint Management Committee
Member of the British Genealogical Record Users Committee
Member of The National Archives Online User Advisory Committee
A founder trustee, webmaster and former treasurer of the Halsted Trust, a charity
devoted to furthering genealogy and family history

I cannot think of anyone who has done more for family history and Geoff will be very
sadly missed by many people.

Wendy - thank you for posting this and can I assume it is being passed to other lists,
since Geoff was extremely well known throughout the UK?

--
Roy Stockdill
Genealogical researcher, writer & lecturer

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about,
and that is not being talked about."
OSCAR WILDE

This thread: