From: Alan Savin <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] A DNA genealogical mystery
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:56:13 +0000

Dear Mary,

I find this a fascinating story and a good demonstration of the potential
of DNA for genealogical research.

Firstly as to your statement that two people with a perfect match would
normally have the same surname. Perhaps you have been misled into thinking
this, as on this list, people with the same surname are looking for a match
to start with. This question and other related ones have been looked at by
some of the leading geneticists in the world and their conclusion is: this
is not a straight forward question to answer. To start with how common in
the RELEVANT population, is the haplotype we are referring to? I feel we do
not have enough data to even answer this initial question. The best guess
as to how many loci are needed for a unique surname haplotype is now 50
markers.

Regarding the timing of the event, genetically any dating is still
dependant upon several variables and is an "average" figure. Not all 12/12
matches will have the same "average" timing for the earliest common male
ancestor. I am not convinced by the statistical methods used by geneticists
when we are talking of the time frames genealogists work in.

It is this type of questioning that we "genetic genealogists" on this list
should start to seriously consider, for this field to now advance. I have
only just scratched the surface of the issues here but the good news is
that in the future we will be in a much better position to answer these
questions.

Any other comments from the list?

Alan

This thread: