From: "Allan S. Gleason" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] matching site
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 11:34:04 -0800

You obviously like programming, Orin, and it all sounds like a good idea. However,
in my opinion you're being too inclusive and thorough. :>) I'd like to suggest a
simple table with alphabetized surnames vs markers in numerical order without
location or laboratory. If the marker is one of the self-serving 'cute' ones, a
simple asterisk and note that this is a 'non standardized' marker should suffice.
Keeps you out of business politics, too.

If you feel location is important, then perhaps a national tag at the end of each
surname. We Earthlings move around too much to make finer location designations
relevant. For example, I live in California and Arizona. I was born in Ohio,
lived at least a year each in Montana, Connecticut, Wisconsin, Kentucky,
Pennsylvania Vermont and Guam. But there is little question that I'm an American.
With split families and migrant job markets, things will only get worse - not
better. You might say that our 'brownian motion' is coming to a boil.

In order to avoid an impossibly large array of data, there would be no duplication
although mutations should be entered in close proximity so that under any one
surname which appears 'related', the range and locus of mutations can be shown.

I don't think it is appropriate nor necessary to turn it into a personalized dating
service. That could turn into an overwhelming can of worms for the operator with
names, addresses, permissions and all of that stuff. I agree that the data input
has to be humanly monitored not just for crackpots but also for simple errors which
are bound to occur.

I think it is a great idea but don't bite off more than you can chew, Orin, keep it
simple - or do you want to become a DNA version of Cindi's List?

Allan

This thread: