From: "Allan S. Gleason" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] "Junk DNA" thoughts
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 16:47:00 -0800

Good question, Mary. I always thought that "junk DNA" was only a part of the
Y-chromosome - but I guess it could be any apparently non-functional parts of any
chromosome and including mtDNA. It would seem to me that any region which is
found to be somehow functional or informational, it could not be considered
"junk". Any experts out there?
Allan

wrote:

> List,
>
> I recently returned from volunteering at a conference of Genetic Counselors
> here in Washington, DC. There were a few vendors there advertising "tests of
> mitochondrial DNA" for defects. I persuaded one vendor to get me some
> layman's level writing on medical problems originating from certain mutations
> in the mtDNA. Do you know that all sorts of metabolic problems are related
> to mtDNA? Also certain variations of Diabetes, Alzheimer's, etc., are
> thought to originate from faulty mtDNA.
>
> So, why do people call the mtDNA "Junk DNA"?
>
> Mary Mallett

> Search over 1 Billion names at Ancestry.com!
> http://www.ancestry.com/rd/rwlist1.asp

This thread: