Subject: Re: [DNA] Small number of hits at Y-STR database
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 16:58:45 EST

In a message dated 12/22/01 8:52:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> It appears to me that no single marker alone is going to affect all
> haplotypes to the same extent. The DYS385 drastically reduced the number
> of
> matches in one sample, and in the other sample the addition of either of
> the
> other two markers had the greater impact.

Interesting observations, Barbara. This is a good way to demonstrate the fact
that the Y chromosome is inherited as a unit, so the various alleles for the
STR markers aren't randomly distributed. Some of them are "fellow travellers"
who have been hanging around together for a while.

This thread: