From: "John F. Chandler" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: Hair/kinkiness/physical characteristics
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 15:09 EST

Martha wrote:
> Please educate me, I thought everyone had a sub cranial ridge at the base
> of their skull.

Obviously, the back edge of the skull, being an EDGE, has a ridge-like
quality, especially since that's where the neck muscles attach. However,
there is a distinct point or bump called the INION, which is present in
males only. (I received an e-mail from a female yesterday saying that
she has such a bump, but I suspect it is a matter of degree -- people
have little irregularities all over their skulls, after all.)
Incidentally, the inion makes a great topic as an ice-breaker at parties.
As Nancy observed, once this topic comes up, people get to running their
fingers over their own skulls and others' as well. Try it. You'll see.

John Chandler

This thread: