Subject: [DNA] Re: Melungeons
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:27:01 EST

In a message dated 1/11/02 8:43:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

<< assume that their period in the Appalachian wilderness meant that they
were a small group and isolated, giving rise to inbreeding which
concentrated a few genetic defects.

Geoff,
This is part of the debate about these folks. They were not a large group,
and some folks consider them to have been isolated, but it looks like they
were pretty good 'ridge runners' between several seperate settlements in the
areas of NC/VA/KY/TN/WV. And I really believe their numbers have been
grossly underestimated.

>From the research, I am led to believe that they were a sizable mixed-ethnic
population spread throughout the southeastern United States and into southern
Ohio and Indiana. While the term `Melungeon' is most commonly applied to
those group members living in eastern Kentucky, southwestern Virginia,
eastern Tennessee, and southern West Virginia, related mixed-ancestry
populations also include the Carmel Indians of southern Ohio, the Brown
People of Kentucky, the Guineas of West Virginia, the We-Sorts of Maryland,
the Nanticoke-Moors of Delaware, the Cubans and Portuguese of North Carolina,
the Turks and Brass Ankles of South Carolina, and the Creoles and Redbones of
Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Melungeons consider these groups to be
'cousin' groups.

I am sure that there was considerable intermarriage. You married who was
nearby to marry. My own grandparents were 3rd cousins and no one in our
family knew this until I started researching but the intermarriage may not be
as much as previously thought. The genetic illnesses for the most part
require genes from both parents to inherit so, the closeness of families did
make that a possibility.
NancyS

THE MELUNGEON HEALTH EDUCATION AND SUPPORT NETWORK:
http://www.melungeonhealth.org

Melungeon Information and Common Surname List:
http://members.home.net/sparkys9/melungeons.html

Fibromyalgia in YOUR family? Inherited? Maybe!!
<A HREF="http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedies/CFS/fib_causes_nancy.htm">;
Causes of Fibromyalgia, Nancy, Fibromyalgia</A>
http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedies/CFS/fib_causes_nancy.htm

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bourbonstreet/inn/1024/DNAannouce.html">;
MelungeonDNA info</A>
http://www.geocities.com/bourbonstreet/inn/1024/DNAannouce.html

Sparks Genealogy: http://SparksGenealogy.net
(Select: Index/Nancy's Corner/The Melungeon Connection)
(Select: Index/The Melungeon Media Release)

Searching SPARKS, HAGER, JAYNE, RAMEY/REMY, COLLINS, MUSICK, WALKER, PORTER
MAYO, CAREY/CARY NAPIER,QUEEN, PERDUE, KELLEY, LETT, BELCHER

This thread: