From: "Elvira Zavala-Patton" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: Jewish; WAS Melungeons
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 01:50:18 -0700

Just thought I would throw in my 2cents bit. A Devilliers has a point
there. There is plenty of diversity in the Jewish population.

You can find more than one Indian tribe in Mexico practicing Judaism who
claim their ancestors were Spanish Jews. They are Mexican Natives whose
fathers were some of the first Spanish Jews who arrived on Mexican soil
shortly after Cortez and company. Some actually arrived with him. Although
they are Mexican Natives by everybody's reckoning, they have kept their
identity and called themselves Jews. Some of them do not speak Spanish to
this day, having kept their native language from Mexico. These Jews are
not the well known Jewish colonies in Veracruz or Mexico City.

I don't think they have heard of any of those diseases. At least I have
not heard of it. I have been wondering for some time about the effects of
inbreeding here . Does anyone know about this?

Elvira