Subject: Re: [DNA] Haplogroup definition
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 23:02:16 EST

In a message dated 1/14/02 10:09:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> For the Jefferson-Hemings matter, if you wish to examine the DNA evidence
> (as detailed by Dr. Tom Roderick of the Center for Human Genetics) in the
> context of the historical and genealogical evidence that supports paternity
> (analyzed by Helen F. M. Leary, CG, CGL, FASG), may I suggest
> *Jefferson-Hemings: A Special Issue of the National Genealogical Society
> Quarterly,* NGSQ, vol. 89 (September 2001).

The article that Elizabeth cited is outstanding.....It combines DNA testing,
with its limitations in pinpointing A particular specific individual as the
father, with, what seems to me extremely important information, not included
in the "scholars" study of last spring, regarding particularly the likely
extent of Thomas Jefferson's brother's presence at Monticello (not likely,
letters suggest he didn't visit often to see his own dog, etc.). It reads
more like a detective novel in many ways.

What Elizabeth did NOT note, however, was that (unless something has changed
in the last three months) that NONE of the descendants of Sally's son Madison
Hemings, whose descendants did HAVE the tradition of Jefferson as their
ggggxx grandfather, have participated publicly in the study.

As was said on this list not too long ago, there is alot to risk in doing
DNA testing if you think you have all the circumstantial evidence to support
a case and have an emotional involvement in it.

Janet Hunter

This thread: