Subject: [DNA] (no subject)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:28:10 EST

Can anyone answer the following:
What is an explanation of how to find unknown ancestors using DNA samples?
What if I did not know who my g g g grandfather was? Nor did a living
relative who matched my paternal line. How would our knowing that we had
matching DNA markers, identify the individual we were searching for 5
generations back? The most we would know is that WE were related. All I can
see, is that knowing who you matched that was living, might be way of
sharing in that individual's possible knowledge of common ancestors. But
that is not "genetic" research. For there is only one sample, those who are
currently living. Putting an ad on the net looking for lost cousins, and if
one responds, calling them up and asking if they know who your g g g
grandfaher was, would be the same thing as matching DNA with some living
relative someplace. Can you enlighten me on this?

Gerald Finnegan

This thread: