From: "John F. Chandler" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Comparing DNA Test Results from Different Laboratories
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:10 EST

Ken wrote:
> I have also added the known range of values, as presented by Arthur Carden
> on the Carden DNA Project site (hosted by Trish Carden), for the markers
> used by OA.

You can see the range of values in the European Y database by going to
their web site. The entry boxes for typing in your own numbers all have
drop-down menus that show the actual values seen in the database.

> 10 DYS389i +8 (7-14)

> 12 DYS389ii-i +24 minus locus 10 (12-19)

Yes, but. Stated this way, you don't make it quite clear whether you are
adding +8 to the locus 10 value before or after you subtract from locus
12. You must first add +8 and +24, respectively, and only then subtract
the one from the other.

Also, if you are talking about comparisons with other labs, rather than
with the European Y database, you need to know that Oxford Ancestors
uses the old nomenclature, where 389i comes out smaller by 3. I believe
Relative Genetics also uses the old nomenclature.

John Chandler

This thread: