From: "Orin R. Wells" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Surname Database at RG and GenealogyDNA.or
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 10:54:19 -0800

At 01:47 PM 2/24/02 -0500, Joseph Robertson wrote:
>Since I have traced my paternal ancestors back at least 5 generations and all
>were living in America at that point, does this mean I would not able to
>discover the country of origin for a particular surname beyond the 4th
>generation vis-à-vis the Ancestry.com DNA program?

Unless someone socks in a lot more proven genealogy to support the DNA
matching, I think this is probably true. That is why people who have a
limited genealogy who walk into the Ancestry.com research may not find much
joy other than knowing what their pattern is and being able to match it
with some others how also don't know much more. You are not going to see a
lot of UK material coming from the Ancestry.com source, but you WILL from
the BYU. The downside is if they do not provide the ability of clients to
connect with the people who match their DNA and Surname so they can explore
common ancestry issues the whole process is going to be less than satisfactory.

Now, I don't know if they are planning a method for researchers to contact
each other. My fear is that the privacy issues will prevent this mechanism
from being put in place. To me it is nearly worthless to tell me that my
y-chromosome matches three surnames if none of them are mine. If one of
them is mine, it is still worthless if I can not access the genealogy
behind the other sample and connect with that other researcher who
presumably had enough interest in Genealogy to participate in the first
place and wants to be contacted.

Which brings me to the next topic. The GenealogyDNA.org site. I am
finally starting to actually work on it. I hope to have a sample entry
form available this coming week ("... and the creeks don't rise").

This is where with the right planning and sufficient participation we can
overcome this sort of obstacle. Everyone who has obtained a DNA pattern
from one lab or another who enters this into our database will be able to
contact the matching contributors. What I have in mind is you would enter
your e-mail address if you are willing to be contacted by others who match
you. The e-mail address will not be revealed and the initial e-mail will
be sent automatically behind the scenes by the mail server. If you want to
continue the contact you then have the e-mail address of the person who
initiated the contact and the two of you can carry on an exchange.

I don't know how to handle the address issue for those without e-mail. I
guess we can put in an option for the e-mail-less registrants for their
address to be given out on request only to those who have found a match (or
some similar criteria). This would be done automatically by the system
through some request mechanism not yet defined. I am open to suggestions here.

Orin R. Wells
Wells Family Research Association
P. O. Box 5427
Kent, Washington 98064-5427
<>
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wellsfam/wfrahome.html
Subscribe to the "Wells-L" list on RootsWeb

This thread: