From: "Roger Townsend" <>
Subject: [DNA] Re: Preserving DNA Samples
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 13:54:08 -0400

Hi Karen,
I'm an expat Tasmanian living in Canada. If I get a sample done shortly I
will probably use http://www.familytreedna.com
and get a 21 test rather than a 12.

Now I will get to my question:
I cannot afford to get any testing done at present however I have two
relatives who are in late 70's and I would like to obtain samples now and
preserve them.

What is the best way of getting samples that can be used for the longest
period of time?

I notice that familytreedna.com use a inside cheek scrapings but place it in
a fluid, once they get the sample they keep the sample indefinitely under
refrigeration in case you want further testing done later. This begs a
futher question.

Why can't I use a similar process to obtain a sample and keep it in my
refrigerator sealed etc. Obviously there will be times when it will be
unrefrigerated for periods of time but from the information I am hearing is
that the odds are that such a sample could in theory be preserved for
decades at least.

I am sure there must be many on this forum who can answer these questions.

Regards

Roger Townsend
Ex Tasmanian
Ydna Townsend Blake Turley Hughes Spinks Blake Francis Kerry
Mdna Mold Grant Downward Downward Davies Westbrook Grove Allen Greyson
Hamilton