From: "ROBERT GREEN" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Testing Australian parents' DNA + 'other' genetic material
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 03:22:49 -0400

Lurking and learning, but slowly. Thanks, Allan, for the clarity of your
answer to Karen. I think a number of the points will be useful to me in the
future. I've just received my report from FTDNA and will do some additional
reading before asking specific questions about that on list -- though I seem
to have results from a 12-marker test when I ordered the one for 21 markers.
But I'm contacting the company about that.

My question now: you make the point that, "The male has his mother's DNA
but he doesn't pass it on." I understand this, but wonder if there is other
genetic material from his mother that he does pass on to children. The
same for the female side: It seems to me there 'must' be some genetic
connection between me and my mother's father, even if my mother, lacking the
Ycs, could not pass that on to me. For many of us there is a strong
emotional desire to explore, and honor, all the connections up there in the
family tree, not just the surname line on the father's side and the mtDNA
line on the mother's side. For me, there is powerful psychological impact
in the idea that I 'share blood' with everyone north of me in the tree. My
father's maternal grandfather, for instance, was apparently a charming rogue
from the north of Ireland. And I like the idea that there's a bit of this
Andrew McVinnie somewhere here in this English-Green body of mine.

Thanks again for your answer to Karen, and for your patience with beginners.
Bob Green