From: "Allan S. Gleason" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Relative Genetics/Ancestry.com results
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:08:39 -0700

Glennon/McNeil wrote:

> While my Glennon family Y-DNA project is at FTDNA, I did get my personal
> sample tested by Rel.Gen./Ancestry just to make a comparison and to get
> some results on additional markers. Yes, it took a very long time to
> get the results but I didn't keep a record of how long.

I think they just started shipping results last week so past delays may not indicate
future service.

> Comparing scores, I was given a B & E for DYS 385 a & b respectively. I
> believe that the E has not been reported by anyone else here yet. And I
> got a D & G for YCAII a & b.

Emmett Mason also got a B, E for DYS 385a,b. and Gary Blakely got a D, G for
YCAIIa,b.

> All of the markers tested by both labs matched EXCEPT for DYS 388.
> FTDNA reported 12 on that marker and Rel.Gen./Ancestry reported a 13.
> Is this is the first report of a non match at 388? Perhaps I am not
> understanding Ancestry's number correctly. My 12 on 388 at FTDNA
> matches 19 other Glennons tested one at a time there; so, at this point
> I am inclined to wonder about the Rel.Gen./Ancestry number.

Gary Blakely also performed a multi-lab comparison test and got a value of 12 from
all three labs at DYS388. Four of the five respondents on this list also got 12 for
that marker from Rel. Gen. Emmett Mason, like you also got a 13. For DYS388, I've
seen values ranging from 12 to 16 inclusive from the various labs. A mismatch is of
course worrisome and for some reason DYS388 has been a problem for Rel. Gen.

This thread: