From: "Dennis L. Haarsager" <>
Subject: [DNA] Re: MRCA and FTDNA
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 11:17:09 -0700

Would you please comment on how your calculator and the Walsh work square
with work done by Yale statistician Joseph Chang which seems to indicate
fairly recent MRCAs? "...two-parent MRCA occurs with high probability
within the last 20 generations or so" in "Recent Common Ancestors of All
Present-Day Individuals,"

>Actually, my MRCA calculator is based on equations from Bruce Walsh's paper
>"Estimating the Time to the Most Recent Common Ancestor for the Y chromosome
>or Mitochondrial DNA for a Pair of Individuals."

This thread: