From: "Dennis L. Haarsager" <>
Subject: [DNA] Re: MRCA and FTDNA
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 11:17:09 -0700

Ann,

Would you please comment on how your calculator and the Walsh work square
with work done by Yale statistician Joseph Chang which seems to indicate
fairly recent MRCAs? "...two-parent MRCA occurs with high probability
within the last 20 generations or so" in "Recent Common Ancestors of All
Present-Day Individuals," http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/115554.html).

Thanks.

Dennis

>Actually, my MRCA calculator is based on equations from Bruce Walsh's paper
>"Estimating the Time to the Most Recent Common Ancestor for the Y chromosome
>or Mitochondrial DNA for a Pair of Individuals."

This thread: