From: josie bass <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Term Black Dutch
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 10:17:04 -0400

--=======2E5020CB=======

Hi, this is the way my father's side of the family described themselves
"Black Dutch" - and they were quite proud of it! they came to America from

Schwarzwald - Black Forest - Forested mountain region of SW Germany along
the upper Rhine between the Neckar and Swiss border. SWARTZ - modern
German spelling is SCHWARZ.

Wurttemberg - Region and former kingdom of SW West Germany between Baden
and Bavaria; chief city Stuttgart; once a duchy, kingdom 1813-1918, state
1918-1945; divided 1945-1951, S part being joined to Hohenzollern forming
Wurttemberg-Hohenzollern state and N part to N Baden forming
Wurttemberg-Baden state; since 1951 part of Baden-Wurttemberg state.

GERMAN EMIGRATION Courtesy of Beverly Reed SWARTZ: URL
http://home.att.net/~charliefies/Swartze.html

Johann Schwartz married Caterina Ester MUELLER 20 May 1759 in Lancaster
Borough, PA. My 4th gps. Their son Baltas (Leobathasar) m. Margaret HUPPMAN
(HOFFMAN) abt 1790; their son Henry m. Melissa Miller of
Phillips/MIller/Soule(Mayflower desc.) - so that is the first break in our
Black Dutch ancestry. The name was changed from Schwartz to Swartz during
Henry's lifetime.

Schwarz were Lutherans and Swartz were Mennonites some of whom became
Baptists, Disciples, Methodists and RLDS. My gms brother d. about 1934, he
had a very prosperous business, he changed his name to BREWSTER, he said he
got tired of telling people no, I am not Jewish.

Anyone having any info of the above please write

josie

Josephine Lindsay Bass
Confederate Southern American
216 Beach Park Lane