Subject: Re: [DNA] DYS Numbers and Mutations [DYS425]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:56:07 EDT

In a message dated 10/24/02 6:41:46 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> Having read the attached email I noticed that the results of my 12 marker
> test from OA matches with your first coloumn. OA were unable to resolve DYS
> 425 however. I am currently awaiting the results of an upgrade with FTDNA.

A result of "M" for DYS425 has been reported by several other people with OA
results (OA being the only company which tests this locus). It may stand for
Multiple peaks. I can't find the citation right now, but I recently read an
article in the technical literature which described multiple peaks for
DYS425. The implication is that the locus has been duplicated and inserted
into another region of the genome.

A duplication of DYS19 has also been reported occasionally (Zerjal et al, "A
Genetic Landscape Reshaped by Recent Events: Y-Chromosomal Insights into
Central Asia," Am J Hum Gen 71:466-482, 2002).

The above is for those interested in technical details; the bottom line is
that you are not alone in your results for DYS425, but we haven't seen enough
cases to determine if an "M" result is actually helpful in linking families.

Ann Turner
GENEALOGY-DNA List Administrator
DNA preservation kits: http://www.dnafiler.com

This thread: