From: John S Walden <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DYS Numbers and Mutations
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:31:07 -0400

At 07:40 AM 10/24/2002 -0700, you wrote:
> > we can only use an overall mutation rate of .002 for each marker at each
>birth.
> > We know the markers do mutate are different rates.
>
>I am still thinking about the "slow and fast." or different rates.

As I said all we know is the composite rate, and that is in some dispute,
here we have been using .002 but it is reported that others use .004
a faster rate.

It could be that some markers eg DYS449 mutate much faster than others
If we find that DYS rate is faster (a mutation rate larger than .002) then
all the others must be some what slower (a mutation rate less than .002) so
that the average stays the same.

If we do indeed find that 449 is a really fast "mutater" then we would
discount any
changes it show or ignore it completely in doing surname studies
Like wise if we find a maker with a really slow mutation rate we would have
to pay extra attention to that one every time we find a change.
If it were really slow any change in that one marker could be a sign the two
men are not related.

As of now we treat all makers the same.
John W

This thread: