Subject: Re: [DNA] Observed mutation rates / Porto Conference
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:11:46 EST

In a message dated 11/05/02 5:48:44 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> . The overall average mutation
> rate was 2.3 x 10
> -3

Very close to the .002 rate we've been using. Would you ask (if it's not
covered in the presentation) whether they think the differences they obseved
for different loci are real differences or sampling effects? They have
probably combined their results for some of the loci with Kayser, Heyer, &
Bianchi for more statistical power.

Also, I've had a lot of trouble accessing the Y-STR database (Europe) over
the past few weeks. I thought perhaps it was getting extra use just prior to
the conference. Could you ask about that?

I'd also be interested in learning a little more about how subjects are
screened before being included in the population database. Roewer (Forensic
Science International 2001 pp 106-113) mentions using surnames and/or birth
places to get males who would be typical of their geographic locations. And
you remember how Allan Gleason used to say the samples were criminals because
they were in a forensic database? He may or may not have been joking, but you
might be able to get the word from the horse's mouth.

Ann Turner
GENEALOGY-DNA List Administrator
>lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/Miscellaneous/GENEALOGY-DNA.html
DNA preservation kits: >www.dnafiler.com

This thread: