From: "Joseph B. Lambert" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA]
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 10:03:17 -0600

You ask several questions. It is very difficult to obtain hard data on the
development of speech, because it involved changes in soft tissue rather
than bone. Soft tissue rarely survives in the fossil record. That is why
it is so difficult to say exactly when speech developed. The theory that
speech was associated with the cultural flowering circa 60,000 years ago is
only one. Others believe it began much earlier, when Homo sapiens sapiens
first appeared circa 100,000 years ago, possibly in Southwest Asia ("Middle
East) as you say. Also, remember, humans did not evolve from
monkeys. Monkeys and humans had a common ancestor. Big difference. You
also are right that only humans can express themselves in speech, because
of both brain and vocal cord differences (soft tissue).

Joseph Lambert

>Question --- Isn't it true that monkeys don't have the right brain
>'generator & connectors' for real speech -- i.e. Werneke & Brocca's
>areas arent developed enough to allow them to speak, even though...like
>a dog or trained chimp...there might be a little understanding of some
>speech? Doesn't this sort of explain why monkeys of today can't and
>never will be able to speak in sentences & understand intricate
>linguistic meanings?
>
>Has there ever been any REAL proof of a transition species (i.e.-link)
>between man & ape having a speech center well developed enough to
>actually formulate words into sentences?
>
>I guess that the point is --- if there is no real 'brain capability
>link' to any other species, isn't man alone the only 'animal' who has
>ever been able to communicate via a spoken language? Most genetic
>studies today assume that man originated 'out of Africa'...from
>monkeys, and not from an original beginning in the Mid-East, as so many
>DNA haplotypes now seem to be suggesting. If geneticists worldwide
>aren't thinking 'outside the box' created by modern day
>paleontologists, how can we who are simply seeking our 'origins' ever
>be sure exactly where our own modern day DNA originated...back there in
>the mists of time?
>
>Martha

>http://mailplus.yahoo.com
>

>==============================
>To join Ancestry.com and access our 1.2 billion online genealogy records,
>go to:
>http://www.ancestry.com/rd/redir.asp?targetid=571&sourceid=1237

Joseph B. Lambert
Department of Chemistry