From: "john flinn" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Genetic Bottleneck and World Populations.....
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 20:46:07 -0700

Bill,
The tone of your 3rd question would infer that you may be considering all those jillions of people to have been alive in the year 687 AD. Consider that, even today, all your great great grandparents are dead, plus all your ancestors beyond them. So at any given period of time, the odds are that all your ancestors back from your gggrand parents are dead. It would appear that your numbers are correct, even the 206 million alive in the year 600.
Look at it this way: If the 3rd generation back did not die. the world population would at least double every generation. That would make your number 140,737,488,355,328 seem pretty reasonable. But most of the people who ever lived are now dead. The counting is probably correct.
Regards,
John Flinn