From: David Faux <>
Subject: [DNA] AncestrybyDNA test. Who's it for?
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:30:59 -0800 (PST)

Ernie and Larry:

Just checking some of the 2002 archives. Concerning your disappointment with the negative findings of Ancestry by DNA in relation to Native North American testing, there are good reasons (based on known genetic principles) why siblings, cousins and sundry other relatives would have a very different assortment of genes than you. I was fortunate in that despite a heritage similar to your own, the Native North American genes (along with a few East Asian) showed in my results from the above company. I suspect that (by chance) many of my full first cousins would not have received enough NNA DNA to register on the tests used presently by the company. The simplest way around all this would seem to be obtaining samples from parents, or great aunts or uncles even better since all are closer (DNA wise) to the Native North American ancestor than you. It is of course a gamble since by chance or other circumstances they may also not have inherited the NNA DNA. Is it worth the cost?!
Only you can decide. With myself, I am having both parents tested to see how the results compare to my own. Gets to be a costly venture - and sometimes I wonder whether I should wait until they have "refined" the test. David.

Dr. David K. Faux, 4028 Larwin Ave., Cypress, CA, 90630, USA