From: OrinWells <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Howard University Project
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 14:34:32 -0800

I have received a brief response from Dr. Kittles regarding the
African-American study at Howard University.

>Thank you for your interest in the African Ancestry Project. As you may
>already be aware, I have been inundated with requests from African Americans
>interested in using DNA to explore lost ancestry. At the moment the service
>is not available to the public. Please continue to monitor the website for
>new developments www.africanancestry.com.

I have sent him additional questions about the identity of the markers
being used for the y-Chromosome DNA testing in the project and whether
there is some place one could see the current progress of the
project. Obviously they are considerably behind where they thought they
would be by now - sounds pretty normal.

Those with African-American ancestry who are interested in participation
can sign up on the above website and receive updates apparently. At $300
per test I would have thought this would have weeded out a lot of potential
participants. It sure would in any of our studies. Apparently not in this
case.

This thread: