From: "John F. Chandler" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Question about DYS 464e
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:39 EST

Susanne wrote:
> The Walker DNA Project has their first
> participant with a value for DYS 464e.

Just as the STR markers occasionally mutate by making an extra copy of
the short repeating sequence or dropping a copy, the DNA can make
copying errors on a huge scale by duplicating a long sequence or
dropping one. We know that this sort of error is especially likely for
DYS464 because it has happened three times already (which is why there
are normally four copies of DYS464, labeled a-d). You can think of the
copying process as a highly skilled typist copying a manuscript of
gibberish (coded text). Errors are rare, but not impossible. For
really big errors, imagine somebody opens a window, and the breeze sends
a few pages flying -- when they are retrieved, a page from the "done"
pile might end up on the "to do" pile or vice versa.

John Chandler

This thread: