Subject: [DNA] Possible AMH Jewish Migrations to England and Scotland
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 09:53:20 EDT

--part1_142.12d164a6.2c0e0250_boundary

Full-name: Elizabeth 524
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 14:39:56 EDT
Subject: Re: [DNA] Admixture matters NA and East Asian etc

OK Malcolm,
Now we are cooking! The thesis which my resarch partner, Don
Panther-Yates, and I have been exploring is that a large contingent of AMH-carrying
Sephardic Jews from Iberia and southern France entered Scotland from around 1100
onward. The first group would have accompanied William the Conqueror and assisted
in setting up the civil administration in England. Some then made their way
to Scotland around 1150 at the invitation of Kings Malcolm Canmore and David I.
Additional families would have arrived in 1290, 1306 and 1391 after various
anti-Jewish pogroms in England, France and Spain, respectively. Then, in 1492 -
1650 even more French and Sephardic Jews would have arrived as a result of
the Inquisition and its spread to Holland, France and other Western European
countries.
One of the families we posit was among the earliest Jewish arrivals were
the St. Clairs/Sinclairs. Notably, the Sinclair family ended up ruling the
Orkney Islands for a considerable time period in the 1300-1500(?) time period. In
the Yell Cemetery records on the nearby Shetland Islands, there are Sinclair
gravestones. And, apparently one of the oldest still semi-legible in the Yell
graveyard is a Templar grave stone, which is described as flat with two sets of
crossed thigh bone symbols and a skull symbol on it.
The Sinclair family was well-known to have Templar connections (they
owned/built Roslyn Chapel, for instance) and this quasi-mystical, quasi-religious, and
extremely rich group had strong ties to the Mediterranean and Middle East.
Thus we hypothesize that Scotland generally was much more ethnically
diverse than is generally recognized or acknowledged. (Indeed many of these
families have made a strong effort to Celt-icize their origins and disguise their
actual ancestry since the 1500's.) Don and I are writing a book on this
hypothesis which we hope will be completed by the end of the summer.
Side note to David Faux: David, We would very much like to include your
Shetland Islands DNA findings, if it is ok with you.
All the best, Beth

--part1_142.12d164a6.2c0e0250_boundary--

This thread: