From: "Kay Martin" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Newbie Discouragement
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:55:09 -0500

Ah but Gary, it nearly is! My Grandmother started into this hobby in 1933 when her mother died and she found from letters in her mother's possession that we have ourselves a mystery (still have it!). My mother too has always been interested, and now I've been at it seriously for 23 years. In about 1986 I bought my first computer and by about 1990 had started using the BBS's and made contacts with other genealogist who I then exchanged with via snail mail. My Mom exclaimed years ago that I'd found more on our families than she had in all the years she had been working on research. And here we are, 13 years later, and we have much better computer services, huge amounts of data on line, and now DNA (see Ann, I'm not totally off topic <g>). When we get stuck on a brickwall or are just learning some new trick like DNA, it does seem to take patience, but looking back over the time we've been on line, doesn't it look more like a whirlwind? Admittedly, that "instant gratification" i!
s more a hindsight thing.

Kay