Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: DNA Print Parental %
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:58:34 EDT

In a message dated 06/12/03 11:12:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

> With a DNA Print is it possible to exhibit a higher % of one of the
> population groups than that shown by either parent, or by both parents
> combined?

David referred to an old message where I worked through an example. On
rereading it, I see I didn't word things in a crystal clear way, but maybe you can
muddle through. The bottom line is that a child can definitely show a higher
percentage of some group than either parent, if both parents have some alleles
from that group.

The question about both parents combined is more complex. The answer would be
"no" if every marker could be categorized in a clear cut, all-or-nothing way.
If Father has 3 alleles which occur in 100% of Native Americans and no other
populations, and Mother has 5 "NA" alleles, the maximum available to the child
is 8. The average would be 4 alleles, although any particular child may
inherit more or fewer than 4. However, there is no way for a child to end up with 9
or more NA alleles -- they just aren't there.

Things get more complicated because the alleles are not all-or-nothing: one
marker may have an allele which occurs in 70% of NA, another marker may have an
allele which occurs in 87% of NA, etc. The example in the message above shows
how things might pan out so that a child seems to have more of one group than
both parents combined. The more likely outcome, though, is for a child to be
the average of the parents.

DNA preservation kits:

This thread: