Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: DNA Print Parental %
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:58:34 EDT

In a message dated 06/12/03 11:12:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> With a DNA Print is it possible to exhibit a higher % of one of the
> population groups than that shown by either parent, or by both parents
> combined?

David referred to an old message where I worked through an example. On
rereading it, I see I didn't word things in a crystal clear way, but maybe you can
muddle through. The bottom line is that a child can definitely show a higher
percentage of some group than either parent, if both parents have some alleles
from that group.

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/GENEALOGY-DNA/2003-05/1052149775

The question about both parents combined is more complex. The answer would be
"no" if every marker could be categorized in a clear cut, all-or-nothing way.
If Father has 3 alleles which occur in 100% of Native Americans and no other
populations, and Mother has 5 "NA" alleles, the maximum available to the child
is 8. The average would be 4 alleles, although any particular child may
inherit more or fewer than 4. However, there is no way for a child to end up with 9
or more NA alleles -- they just aren't there.

Things get more complicated because the alleles are not all-or-nothing: one
marker may have an allele which occurs in 70% of NA, another marker may have an
allele which occurs in 87% of NA, etc. The example in the message above shows
how things might pan out so that a child seems to have more of one group than
both parents combined. The more likely outcome, though, is for a child to be
the average of the parents.

>http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/Miscellaneous/GENEALOGY-DNA.html
DNA preservation kits: http://www.dnafiler.com

This thread: