Subject: Re: [DNA] American Indians, Cherokees...etc.
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:34:16 EDT

Steve:

I believe it could be our "cultural heritages" that make us touchy about
being from this-or-that stock!!!

I recall that in my childhood it was very much "under the table" that we had
a Cherokee Indian in our family. Of course, no one could ever prove this.

Then....in the early 1960s I had a project up in Seattle....I was really
relaxed about referring to my "Cherokee Indian" blood. Wow, did that ever cause a
social flareup!!! In that area their "native indians" are (or were at that
time) the La Push Indians.....and they were considered lazy, etc., etc....and
NO ONE would ever want to be an Indian. How times change, thank goodness. But
these cultural differences, and going in and out of "politically correctness"
very much hinder our solid research on these things.

I even find myself not wanting to be "this" or "that." Not even really
knowing WHY!!! It was the way we were raised in the 1930s, 40s, 50s.....until the
1960s!!

Just food for thought!!
Bless everyone....
Barb By.