From: "Annie, The WritingTeacher" <>
Subject: [DNA] Future trends in DNA research
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:43:29 -0700

This year it's ancestry by DNA, and next year the focus will be on
nutritional genomics, how to tailor what you eat according to your genetic
markers. That's where the focus of my next book is. Most people aren't aware
of the research being done at the University of Davis or at companies
targeting researach on nutrition and your DNA.

For starters, here is a suggested list of reading from the Web site of
NutriGenomics. These companies are on the Web along with discussion forums,
all focusing on tailoring what you eat to how the nutrition is expressed in
your genes or possibly in working toward changing the DNA you pass on to
future generations. There are new fields within nutritional genomics such as
the study of how people's DNA change according to their diets..epigenomics,
etc and phenomics, tailoring your medicine to your genes. Next year, the
slurry of books will be on eating right for your genomic patterns, your
genetic markers. This country faces a diabetes epidemic in children. Sugar
is added to health foods such as soy milk or almond milk, ect to addict
people to the sugar so they should buy more of the health food product in
some cases. Try finding an unsweetened almond, rice, or oat milk. You'll
have a hard time finding unsweetened soy milk, too but it's around if you
look long enough. Health food products are drenched in salt so
salt-sensitive seniors can't find a decent meat subsitute that isn't loaded
with salt, sugar, or fat.
All this--in the midst of a revolution of research focusing on tailoring
your food to your DNA to prevent or slow down premature degenerative
diseases.

My research into nutritional genomics has shown new companies on the Web
such as Nutri-Genomics, and new centers for excellence in nutritional
genomics research at UC Davis. Even pets in the veterinary school have food
tailored to their specific genetic expression, people too, in the medical
department. All I know is that it works. Think about all the Japanese who
eat a dairy-filled American diet and land up with diseases not found in
Japan when they kept the ethnic diet. Perhaps it's time to tailor our DNA to
our multitude of ethnic diets and first find out which one we inherited or
which diet works for our genetic expression. For me it's Omega 3 oils, but
how can we know for sure until our entire genome is passed through the test,
and for now, the test is still expensive? So we have to guess, perhaps at
the mixture of ethnicities and what our families ate and how it influenced
their health.

Here are some articles on the subject from the past:

Mokdad, A.H., et al., The spread of the obesity epidemic in the United
States, 1991-1998. Jama 282(16): p. 1519-22 (1999).
Willett, W.C., Balancing life-style and genomics research for disease
prevention. Science 296(5568): p. 695-8 (2002).
Fleshner, N.E. and L.H. Klotz, Diet, androgens, oxidative stress and
prostate cancer susceptibility. Cancer Metastasis Rev 17(4): p. 325-30
(1998).
Maffeis, C., Childhood obesity: the genetic-environmental interface.
Baillieres Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 13(1): p. 31-46 (1999).
Jacobs, M.N. and D.F. Lewis, Steroid hormone receptors and dietary ligands:
a selected review. Proc Nutr Soc 61(1): p. 105-22 (2002).
Dauncey, M.J., et al., Nutrition-hormone receptor-gene interactions:
implications for development and disease. Proc Nutr Soc 60(1): p. 63-72
(2001).
Eastwood, M.A., A molecular biological basis for the nutritional and
pharmacological benefits of dietary plants. Qjm, 94(1): p. 45-8 (2001).
Clarke, S.D., Nutrient regulation of gene and protein expression. Curr Opin
Clin Nutr Metab Care 2(4): p. 287-9 (1999)
DeRisi, J.L., V.R. Iyer, and P.O. Brown, Exploring the metabolic and genetic
control of gene expression on a genomic scale. Science 278(5338): p. 680-6
(1997).
Mucci, L.A., et al., The role of gene-environment interaction in the
aetiology of human cancer: examples from cancers of the large bowel, lung
and breast. J Intern Med 249(6): p. 477-93 (2001).
Reifsnyder, P.C., G. Churchill, and E.H. Leiter, Maternal environment and
genotype interact to establish diabesity in mice. Genome Res 10(10): p.
1568-78 (2000).
Sunde, R.A., Research needs for human nutrition in the
post-genome-sequencing era. J Nutr 131(12): p. 3319-23 (2001).
Marx, J., Unraveling the causes of diabetes. Science 296(5568): p. 686-9
(2002).
Enattah, N.S., et al., Identification of a variant associated with
adult-type hypolactasia. Nat Genet 30(2): p. 233-7 (2002).
Hollox, E.J., et al., Common polymorphism in a highly variable region
upstream of the human lactase gene affects DNA-protein interactions. Eur J
Hum Genet, 1999. 7(7): p. 791-800.
Krauss, R.M.e.a., Executive Summary of the Third Report of the National
Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation,
and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel
III). JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association), 2001. 285: p.
2486-2497.
Weggemans, R.M., et al., Genetic polymorphisms and lipid response to dietary
changes in humans. European Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2001. 31(11):
p. 950-957.
Ames, B.N. and P. Wakimoto, Are micronutrient deficiencies a major cancer
risk? Nature Cancer Reviews, 2002.
Ames, B.N. and L.S. Gold, The causes and prevention of cancer: the role of
environment. Biotherapy, 1998. 11(2-3): p. 205-20.
Ames, B.N., DNA damage from micronutrient deficiencies is likely to be a
major cause of cancer. Mutat Res, 2001. 475(1-2): p. 7-20.
Kaput, J., et al., Diet-disease interactions at the molecular level: an
experimental paradigm. J Nutr, 1994. 124(8 Suppl): p. 1296S-1305S.
Park, E.I., et al., Lipid level and type alter stearoyl CoA desaturase mRNA
abundance differently in mice with distinct susceptibilities to
diet-influenced diseases. J Nutr, 1997. 127(4): p. 566-73.
McCarthy, J.J. and R. Hilfiker, The use of single-nucleotide polymorphism
maps in pharmacogenomics. Nat Biotechnol, 2000. 18(5): p. 505-8.
Park, E.I., et al., Lipid level and type alter stearoyl CoA desaturase mRNA
abundance differently in mice with distinct susceptibilities to
diet-influenced diseases. J Nutr, 1997. 127(4): p. 566-73.
Paisley, E.A., et al., Temporal-regulation of serum lipids and stearoyl CoA
desaturase and lipoprotein lipase mRNA in BALB/cHnn mice. J Nutr, 1996.
126(11): p. 2730-7.
Kaput, J., et al., Diet-disease interactions at the molecular level: an
experimental paradigm. J Nutr, 1994. 124(8 Suppl): p. 1296S-1305S.
Elliott, T.S., et al., F1Fo-ATPase subunit e gene isolated in a screen for
diet regulated genes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 1993. 190(1): p. 167-74.
Swartz, D.A., et al., The e subunit gene of murine F1F0-ATP synthase.
Genomic sequence, chromosomal mapping, and diet regulation. J Biol Chem,
1996. 271(34): p. 20942-8.
Wolff, G.L., et al., Caloric restriction abolishes enhanced metabolic
efficiency induced by ectopic agouti protein in yellow mice. Proc Soc Exp
Biol Med, 1999. 221(2): p. 99-104.

Anne Hart
DNA books and articles at:
http://www.newswriting.net