From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: [DNA] Re: T2 - mtDNA - Origins
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 00:08:34 -0400

Hi David,

You wrote:

>A friend just received his mtDNA results (HVR1 and 2) and was fortunate
>enough to have 12 matches. The haplogroup assigned is T2. In the searchable
>database, of the 4 individuals whose maternal origins are given, one was
>from Ireland and 3 Native North American. My friend is from England, and
>therefore it would be very surprising if there was any DNA connection to
>North America.
>
>Thanks for any help / suggestions you can give us.

Since T has never yet been found to be a Native American founder mtDNA
group in any study, I would venture to guess that those individuals are
self-identified as Native Americans, but happen to have a mtDNA line
that came from Europe. The data in some of FTDNA's databases is only
as good as what the person knew about their ancestry.

I haven't had occasion to study T in depth, but I'd be surprised if it
were found much in Eastern Asia. And Native American mtDNA has been
really thoroughly studied by the scientific community: it is
consistently made up of A, B, C, D, and X, and no others.

Bonnie

This thread: